Halved eggplant with herbs  

Posted by Wayne Bretski in

Flying by the seat of my pants today.

I started by halving an eggplant and leaving it out to dry a bit, about two hours total. Then I used a chopping knife to make cross-hatched incisions across the exposed faces, trying to get towards the bottom of the "bowl" without breaking through the skin.



When that was ready, I poured an herb mixture over the halves: basil, oregano, cilantro, "all purpose seasoning", sea salt, cracked pepper, garlic, fresh cilantro, green onion, and spinach all went into the food processor. I baked those at 450 for about 35 minutes.



I also heated some canned whole corn over the stove, and stirred in chopped spinach and sprigs of cilantro. Service:



I stirred the corn and spinach into the soft eggplant innards as I was eating. It would have been good with anything that goes with mashed potatoes, and could have used a little more salt. We had some ideas about how to improve it; if we ever get after it again I think the herb mix will be heavier on oil, with a little more salt as well, so that it gets down in the cracks better.

Not an embarrassing experiment, more like a qualified success.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Archives